“The Ocean covers 70% of the Earth’s surface, nevertheless, it is still woefully under protected, with only 2% strongly protected from destructive or extractive activities.” Ocean Unite.
Pursuit is very proud to partner with Ocean Unite this Black Friday by committing to donating 5% of all of our ‘Green Friday’ sales made from 29th November to 2nd December to the Ocean Unite. As a brand, we always aim to be as transparent as possible with our customers and aspire to educate on environmental issues particularly those close to our heart including ocean pollution and waste within the fashion chain. We are so delighted to be able to go a step further in our fight towards cleaning up our oceans.
Ocean Unite are an organisation formed of expert leaders & strategists who are driving a positive change for the planet and people with the mission to highly protect at least 30% of the ocean by 2030. Strong protection of at least 30% of the Ocean is needed by 2030 (30×30) to build the resilience of ocean life to adapt to climate change and buffer it from other threats like overfishing.
If we can achieve this, we achieve the following:
- Healthier ecosystems and species that are more resilient to the impacts of climate change.
- Climate change mitigation through protection of coastal habitats
- Reduction of ocean risk from extreme weather events
- Livelihoods and food for all.
- More and bigger fish and greater species diversity.
- Safe havens for threatened species like whales, sharks, rays and turtles.
- High financial returns –estimated economic benefit of protecting 30% of the ocean is between US$490 to $920 billion
Making this donation is quite literally a small drop in the ocean for the global change which needs to happen in order to achieve the above goals however this is all it takes, a small step from each of us and for Pursuit this is just the beginning of how we intend on helping to achieve a global mission with the planet in mind.